ZTERM for Pocket PC
Version 2.1, build 34 - Release Notes
Updated September 20, 2004
Specifically Changed in this Build
- The number of columns can now be specified (previously only
the row count could be changed).
- Added an option to send only a CR when connected to a telnet
server. The telnet specification says you need to send a CR+LF
but some telnet servers don't follow the rules.
- Fixed a problem with cursor on/off commands in ANSI and VT100
- Added an option to add a line-feed to the display when a
carriage return is received in local (half duplex) mode.
- Corrected a crash that occured when scrollback was used
- Fixed scrollback on the ANSI and VT100 emulators to scroll
all lines - previously, the bottom line wasn't scrolled
- Added TTY and TTNS emulators to ZTERM for Pocket PC. These
are minimal processing emulators designed primarily for logging.
Like the TTY emulator, TTYNS is a completely dumb emulator that
does as little processing as possible but the TTYNS version goes
even further by not scrolling the screen and updating the characters
on the screen much less frequently than normal.
- Added View menu item to the list of profiles.
- Corrected problem with detecting Bluetooth virtual serial
- Added Full-Screen on startup option.
- Rewrote the Profile Wizard to make profile setup much easier.
- Force CAPS option added to force all keystrokes sent to the
host into upper case
- Corrected resource problem that caused the menu to get displayed
- Corrected problem with telnet port getting reset to 23.
- Fixed a small buffering problem on the top status line of
- Added mouse tracking support to the VT100 and ANSI emulators.
This is compatible with the x-term implementation. See the on-line
help for information.
- Corrected a printer passthrough problem with VT100 and ANSI
- You can now use the keyboard to perform copy and paste functions.
To copy, press Shift+Ctrl+C and for paste, Ctrl+Shift+V.
- The printer disable option has now been moved to the printer
tab and we've changed it's meaning. It's now possible to disable
printer-passthrough mode and/or the print screen function.
- ZTERM now supports variable row counts for all the emulators.
As a result, the VT10024 and ANSI24 emulators have gone away
- if you launch a profile with one of these emulators, ZTERM
will switch it to the regular emulator and setup the row count
correctly. The row count is on the Terminal Emulator tab in Configuration.
- Copy/Paste between ZTERM and other Pocket PC programs now
works correctly. Previously, Copy and Paste only worked between
- More ANSI and VT100 compatability issues addressed.
- Corrected dialing via modem problem on Pocket PC 2002 devices.
- Added passthrough printing and print-screen functions. This
requires a printer connected via a serial connection since the
Pocket PC doesn't support printing. Obviously, the attached printer
will have to understand any data sent from the host (including
- Added 40 column wrap feature - with this enabled, the emulators
will wrap if the cursor moves past column 40.
- Made ZTERM see both COM and BCT ports by default. The comments
for build 27c still apply, but COMBCT is now the default. By
the way, the BCT prefix is used for Bluetooth devices.
- ZTERM for Pocket PC now supports both portrait and landscape
display modes, so it's compatible with programs like JS Landscape.
The Profile Wizard doesn't run in landscape mode because Microsoft's
code puts the Next, Back, Cancel buttons off the display area
but all other dialogs in ZTERM are OK for landscape operation.
Internal test version - not released.
- Added the ability to communicate with serial ports not using
the COM prefix (such as COM1:). To enable this feature, you need
a registry editor for the Pocket PC. Add a string value to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\COOL.STF\ZTERM
for Windows CE\Product called COMPrefixes.
It contains the three letter prefix of all the ports to list
without spaces, so for example setting this string to "COMBCT"
would make ZTERM see all the COM and all the BCT devices.
- Added VT100/ANSI answerback capability
- Corrected size of profile list
- You can now change the bitmap shown on the profile list display
- just put a file called zterm.bmp into the folder where ZTERM
is installed and ZTERM will splash this instead. The bitmap needs
to be 240x60 pixels 24-bit color.
- Corrected erase to end-of-screen bug in ANSI and VT100 emulators.
- Added a horizontal scrollbar capability. Look under Configuration/Display.
- Increased the number of user-buttons to 80
- Added the ability to label the eight groups of ten user buttons
- Added the ability to change the labels displayed when function
menus are displayed
- Added an alternative menu (Configuration/Display). With the
alternative menu, the Edit menu is removed and the toolbar gets
four dedicated hotkeys which can be programmed just like user
- Minor cosmetic fixes
- Corrected problem with programming user buttons from the
- Corrected a problem that prevented the F10 key from working
- Added the ability to send and receive ZTERM Profiles via
Infrared. On one device, tap on Tools/Receive via Infrared...
and on the other, tap and hold on the profile you want to send
and select Send via Infrared... ZTERM Profiles can be sent between
both Pocket PCs running ZTERM for Pocket PC and Handheld PCs
running ZTERM for Windows CE.
- New Upload File capability - significantly faster than previous
- Corrected a problem with telnet connections to BSD and FreeBSD
- Updated the setup program so it would work on non-English
versions of the Pocket PC.
- Added a button to the toolbar to send ESC to the host. This
is a pain to generate with the on-screen keyboard.
- Corrected a bug that caused the Socket serial CF card to
not get recognized by ZTERM.
- Added the ability to send a break 'character' to the host.
- Corrected a display problem that would cause junk to be written
when viewing in one of the 1/2 screen modes.
- Added the ability to upload an ASCII file to the host.
- First official release of ZTERM for Pocket PC.